Tuesday, May 11, 2010

#85-Web according to Google: Resistance is futile

1.What Google products do you use on a regular basis?
Google earth and the search engine.Why do you use them and what makes them better than a competing product? I use google earth because it is easy to use and very fast. Unlike some maps it doesn't require a number of layers that confuse me and are hard to figure out. By just putting in an address you can see an aerial shot and then by clicking on the little man you can see the street view.

2.Check out Google Labs. Did you see any new products that you want to try? Yes, I would like to try the Google Chrome as a web browser. The google books product I had seen before but it has added many more books and magazines.

3.Search or browse Google Books. Do they have the book or magazine you looked for? Yes, I first looked for crib notes for the Scarlet Letter. It was easy to find. Did you find any gems? I did a search for Waldon by Henry David Thoreau. I was surprised to see magazines with the same title . They had the 1854 edition of Waldon from the Stanford Library. The reproduction even included the binding cover in color. How can this be used in the library? I specifically looked up Scarlet Letter because we often had students searching for cliff notes at the last minute and our two copies were not on the shelf. This is an easy alternative.

No comments: