Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Week 9 #22 Downloadable Media

1. I browsed the HCPL Overdrive site and listened to the overview. It has been a few months since I looked at this. I did check out one e-book, "The Alamo" which I will download once I get home. I have downloaded music before on my home computer. I don't have a MP3 player so am somewhat limited. Maybe Santa will bring me one this Christmas. I am always curious as to what is most popular and sorted many of the areas by most popular. I was amazed so much of the titles (fiction romance) could be burned to a CD. I did not remember seeing the little fire before to indicate what can be burned. That makes it easy to spot.

2. LibriVox- This site was primitive compared to Overdrive, but all I did was scan some of the recently cataloged titles and read through the FAQ. Since these are only titles in the public domain they are older and not as popular. I did recognize some, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin , and may come back to it on my home computer.

3. WOWIO- This company says it started in August 2006 and they are located in HOUSTON! They have an attractive website including cover art which is very important. Titles are provided straight from the publisher so they are fairly recent. The subject pull down menu makes negotiating the site easy. I saw many titles of interest but these are still not what library folk would call "best sellers" or high demand titles. Some may have interest but I don't think you will see them on the NY Times BS list.

No comments: